Sep 21 2019
A lot of customers ask us if they should paint their kitchen cabinets. In most cases, somebody has a stained wood cabinet that is at least ten years old. Painting kitchen cabinets is a great way to give a kitchen a fresh new look. And while painting cabinets is not cheap, it’s a whole lot cheaper than buying new cabinets.
Painting kitchen cabinets correctly is not easy and generally takes know how. If done incorrectly, the paint can quickly chip or peel. Additionally, drips or brush marks can be visible if the paint is incorrectly applied. Here’s some tips:
– Proper prep work. Cabinet doors and drawers should be removed. Handles should be taken off or well protected if they can’t be removed. Stained wood needs to be scuff sanded. A layer of high grade primer must be applied to raw wood before paint is applied
– Choose the right materials. Our favorite cabinet paint is Benjamin Moore Advance. It gives an amazingly smooth and durable finish. Do not choose the cheapest possible paint option for cabinets, you will regret not investing a little bit more in good quality paint
– Professionally spray cabinets. To get the optimal finish free of brush marks, cabinet pieces should be sprayed. Make sure the surrounding area is well protected with plastic sheeting if you don’t have a professional workshop to avoid overspray.
Dec 12 2018
Choosing the correct paint, paint sheen and color can be one of the toughest parts of a home project. Whether it is a large remodel or a simple face-lift for a room, choosing the right product can make a big difference. We’ll start our series on this topic with bathrooms.
What Type of Paint to Use
There are a number of paint brands available in the market. Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore are the two main brands we work with at Helix Painting. Both companies create great products and have price points to fit every budget.
Once you have decided on a paint company, the product choice comes down to how much money you want to spend and how often you plan on repainting. Higher end products will generally last longer. We generally recommend Sherwin Williams SuperPaint and Benjamin Moore Ben as good mid-range products and Sherwin Williams Duration and Benjamin Moore Regal as good higher-end products. For those willing to pay an extra premium, paint companies are now creating products with additives to help repel moisture and resist model, such as Benjamin Moore Aura Bath and Spa.
After deciding on product, it is important to consider paint sheen. Bathrooms have a different environment than the rest of your house. They are smaller, fill with steam are likely to have water splashed on the walls. Bathroom walls need to be wiped down more often than other rooms. These differences impact what sheen is best for bathrooms. Paints come in several sheens:
- Eggshell is an easily wipeable, but does not do well in areas with much moisture.
- Satin has a slight gloss finished look, but is only recommended for low moisture environments, like a powder room.
- Sami-gloss repels most moisture well and is easily wiped down, making it a good fit for a bathroom.
- High-glass is excellent at repelling moisture and is easily wiped; however, it can show more imperfections when painted on large surfaces like a wall. It is best to only use high-gloss on trim or cabinets.
What Color Palettes to Choose
Now onto the hard part, choosing color. Color is a very personal decision, but it is important to remember two key factors: bathrooms are generally small and the wall color in a bathroom impacts your reflection on the mirror. With smaller rooms, a dark color can make a room feel even smaller. A dark or strong color can also change the appearance of your complexion. Neutrals, whites, creams, and grays will have the least impact. These color palettes will also give your bathroom a larger, brighter feel.
Looking to start a painting project? The team at Helix Painting can help you to select the right paints and give your home with a professional, fresh look. You can book your FREE estimate on our website or by calling us at 720-445-9856. We look forward to helping you revitalize your home!
Feb 28 2018
Changing paint color in a room can dramatically change how the room looks and feels. Not only does this make your color choice an important one, but it also can be a very intimidating choice. To help demonstrate the way paint can change a room, we used Sherwin Williams’ ColorSnap Visualizer to show the same room painted several different ways. Let’s first look at how just changing the wall color can change the appearance of a room.
Watch to see the impact of changing paint color in a room
Using an accent wall can bring color without overwhelming the room or making it too dark
The same room can also have a dramatically different look when just one wall is painted a different color, also known as an accent wall.
These three room have very different feels with one using the base color on all walls, the next using Sherwin Williams’ Van Dyke Brown and the last using Van Dyke Brown on all walls.
The choice of accent color can also impact the feel of a room. The Van Dyke Brown accent wall sets a different tone from the Quest Gray accent wall
While the different color options and combinations can seem overwhelming, there are people who can help you. The Sherwin Williams’ ColorSnap Visualizer is a great place to start. You can upload photos of your room and see how it will look with new color. Additionally there are professional interior designers and color consultants available to help you with the decision.