Apr 24 2020
Grays are extremely popular, but it is hard to know what gray to use in your house. Grays in the greige (a combination of gray and beige) family are can provide warmth while grays with soft blue and green undertones can provide a fresh and cool feel.
Ultimately, the right color all depends on the mood you want to create in your house, your lighting and other items in the home. We highly recommend picking a few colors you like, painting them onto some large boards and then taping those boards onto several wall. We do not recommend directly painting the colors on the wall. This can result in flashing when the new paint is applied.
For those of you confused by paint color descriptions, we thought it might help to see the same room painted in different shades of gray. We started with the most popular Sherwin Williams colors requested by our customers. We then used the Sherwin Williams ColorSnap tool to show the same room painted in each of the colors. Take a look at each individual color or watch this video scrolling through them all.
Send us an email and let us know your favorite gray. If you still need help picking a color, we are happy to offer a free color consultation with all signed contracts. Schedule your free estimate today!
Apr 21 2020
Our customers often ask us how to remove wallpaper from their homes. While we are happy to provide a free quote for us to remove them, this is often something you can do yourself.
Before you get to work removing wallpaper, it is important to prepare the area to control the mess.
Follow these key steps:
Step 1 – Remove all items from the walls
Step 2 – Move all furniture and other objects to the center of the room.
Step 3 – Cover anything left in the room (even in the center) with plastic sheeting or drop cloths.
Step 4 – Place old towels along the baseboards to collect any moisture that might drip down. Tape plastic sheeting or drop cloths to the baseboards to collect debris.
Step 5 – Cover any electrical outlets with painter’s tape. You can come back and remove the wallpaper from the outlet cover later. Turn off electric to the room.
Now you are ready to start removing wallpaper.
Step 1 – Score the wallpaper
Most wallpaper removal project require the use of a hot water solution to reactivate the adhesive. This allows for much easier removal of the wallpaper. To help the hot water solution penetrate the wallpaper and reach the adhesive, it helps to start with a scoring tool to slightly perforate the wallpaper. Use light pressure to run the scoring tool over the wall.
Step 2 – Create stripping solution
To create your stripping solution, in a spray bottle, fill 1/3 full with vinegar and 2/3 full with hot water.
Step 3 – Spray area with solution
Begin spraying a defined area with the hot water solution. You want to work in sections to ensure the paper does not dry before you get to it. Start at the top of your section and work your way down. Let the solution sit for a few minutes to allow the solution to penetrate.
Step 4 – Pry the wallpaper off the wall
Start at the top, use a scraper to pry a corner of the wet wallpaper and backing off of the wall. Pull the wallpaper off in sheets, as best you can. If some wallpaper has dried or is difficult to remove, spray with more solution and allow the solution to soak. Be careful not to pull too hard at the wallpaper. You want to avoid damaging the drywall as much as possible. Wipe with a wet rag as you go. Repeat this process throughout the room. Allow a full day for removing paper from an average-sized room.
Your walls are now ready for paint. Be sure to prime your walls before applying paint. Click here to learn more about interior painting.
If this sounds like more work than you want to tackle yourself, we’re here to help. You can book your free estimate online or call us at 720-445-9856.
Jan 14 2020
Helix Painting Earns 2019 Angie’s List Super Service Award
Award reflects company’s consistently high level of customer service
Littleton, CO, January 14, 2020 – Helix Painting is proud to announce that it has earned the home service industry’s coveted Angie’s List Super Service Award (SSA). This award honors service professionals who have maintained exceptional service ratings and reviews on Angie’s List in 2019.
“Service pros that receive our Angie’s List Super Service Award represent the best in our network, who are consistently making great customer service their mission,” said Angie’s List Founder Angie Hicks. “These pros have provided exceptional service to our members and absolutely deserve recognition for the exemplary customer service they exhibited in the past year.”
Angie’s List Super Service Award 2019 winners have met strict eligibility requirements, which include maintaining an “A” rating in overall grade, recent grade and review period grade. The SSA winners must be in good standing with Angie’s List and undergo additional screening.
“We are honored to once again be recognized with the Angie’s List Super Service Award 2019,” said owner, Brandon Homuth. “As a company focused on delivering exceptional quality and customer service, the Angie’s List Super Service Award is very important to us.”
Helix Painting has been listed on Angie’s List since 2017. This is the second year Helix Painting has received this honor. View our Angie’s List Profile.
Service company ratings are updated continually on Angie’s List as new, verified consumer reviews are submitted. Companies are graded on an A through F scale in multiple fields ranging from price to professionalism to punctuality.
For over two decades Angie’s List has been a trusted name for connecting consumers to top-rated service professionals. Angie’s List provides unique tools and support designed to improve the local service experience for both consumers and service professionals.
Helix Painting is a team of passionate, caring, service-oriented professionals. Family-owned and operated, we’re committed to making your home painting experience easy and low-stress with our unique combination of personalized service, quality work, and efficient process. We understand the frustration of working with home painting contractors who fail to deliver on promises. Team up with Helix Painting for brilliant results. Visit our website to book your free estimate today!
Dec 18 2019
We frequently get calls from customers who are selling their houses. Over the years, many have put personalized touches bright accent walls, seventies-era greens and browns, nine colors throughout the house, etc. Now that it’s time to sell, their realtors have recommended they make some affordable improvements to the home to make it attractive to a broad base of home buyers.
Sound familiar? If you are selling your house, the key is to make it look fresh, neat, and clean to appeal to the widest cross section of buyers. Most commonly, that means putting a light grey, off white, or light cream color on the walls to match your home’s styling. Make sure the colors work with flooring or counter tops and are relatively neutral. Stock flat white ceiling paint and white semi-gloss on trim are by far the most common colors and will appeal widely. Buyers are frequently going to personalize their home with new paint colors or accent walls, but your job as the seller is to make the home marketable to the masses. So unless your home is a tear-down, it’s probably worth the modest investment to paint, put in new carpet and other touches get increase the money you will get for your home.
Ready to start your cabinet painting project?
Oct 15 2019
We regularly get asked whether a customer should paint their kitchen cabinets . There are some key factors to consider when you are deciding whether to paint those cabinets.
Can your cabinets be painted?
Most cabinets are made of solid wood and can be painted. Some cabinets, however, are made of engineered wood (you’ll often see a veneer or laminate covering). Cabinets made with engineered wood are very challenging to paint. The veneer or laminate coverings do not take paint well and are likely to peel and chip. For these cabinets to be painted, they need extra sanding and priming before painting.
Do you like the general style of your cabinets?
Painting cabinets can give them a new look and feel. Painting cabinets does not change the fundamental structure of the cabinet. If you want flat cabinet doors, painting them won’t change that. Make sure you are comfortable with the style of your cabinets. If not, you might want to consider replacing the cabinet doors. Remember, new hardware will also change the feel of your cabinets. You can get relatively inexpensive new hardware at Home Depot, Ikea or your favorite home improvement store.
Should you paint your cabinets yourself?
This is really a question of how much time you have and how much you like detail work. Painting cabinets requires lots of prep before you can start painting. You’ll need to create a proper workspace (cabinet painting can be messy), you need to sand the cabinets and you’ll need access to a paint sprayer. Spraying cabinets and allowing the doors and drawers to dry properly is key to getting a smooth finished product. We often meet customers unhappy with the brush marks or paint drips visible on some DIY cabinets.
What product is best for painting cabinets?
At Helix Painting, we generally prefer to spray cabinets with Benjamin Moore Advance. Spraying cabinets gives the best finished look. We find Benjamin Moore Advance is the best product for adhering to cabinets, best finished look and great durability.
Ready to start your cabinet painting project?
Sep 26 2019
Most customers who ask us to paint interior walls choose a neutral color throughout the house, typically a light grey, light beige or offwhite. However, a great way to bring color and intrigue into a room can be an accent wall. Accents are typically bold or dark in color and can really make a room “pop.”
But how do you decide which wall to use as the accent? There are no hard and fast rules, but based on our extensive experience painting interiors, we recommend a few guidelines to consider:
(1) You want to pick a wall that’s a natural focal point. For example, you could pick a wall with a fireplace, or a stand alone wall where a nice piece of art might go
(2) Symmetry is important with an accent wall. A natural accent place should be symmetrical within the room, not offset or with doorways on one side
(3) Two corners inside the space. Usually well placed accent walls will have a natural corner in the space
(4) Make sure the color you choose for the accent wall is a natural complement to the rest of the room. Sometimes that’s a darker version of the surrounding walls. Sometimes it’s a bright complement to the wall color. Often the accent will tie in hues from the furniture or decorations. Make sure the color doesn’t clash with the surrounding space or furniture
(5) Typically, the accent color should be 10 – 25% of the overall space in the room. Much more than that and it will not feel like an accent
(6) If you have crown molding or insets, you could consider making a ceiling an accented color for intrigue
(7) Still confused or undecided? Ask your interior paint company or designer for suggestions if you have questions. If you book a project with Helix Painting, we are happy to provide you with a complimentary Sherwin Williams color consultant.
Check out our blog post showing how different color accent walls can change a room.
Sep 21 2019
A lot of customers ask us if they should paint their kitchen cabinets. In most cases, somebody has a stained wood cabinet that is at least ten years old. Painting kitchen cabinets is a great way to give a kitchen a fresh new look. And while painting cabinets is not cheap, it’s a whole lot cheaper than buying new cabinets.
Painting kitchen cabinets correctly is not easy and generally takes know how. If done incorrectly, the paint can quickly chip or peel. Additionally, drips or brush marks can be visible if the paint is incorrectly applied. Here’s some tips:
– Proper prep work. Cabinet doors and drawers should be removed. Handles should be taken off or well protected if they can’t be removed. Stained wood needs to be scuff sanded. A layer of high grade primer must be applied to raw wood before paint is applied
– Choose the right materials. Our favorite cabinet paint is Benjamin Moore Advance. It gives an amazingly smooth and durable finish. Do not choose the cheapest possible paint option for cabinets, you will regret not investing a little bit more in good quality paint
– Professionally spray cabinets. To get the optimal finish free of brush marks, cabinet pieces should be sprayed. Make sure the surrounding area is well protected with plastic sheeting if you don’t have a professional workshop to avoid overspray.
Sep 13 2019
Are you considering painting your interior? You may come across the term “low VOC” or “No VOC”. Sounds good, right? But what exactly does that mean?
What is VOC?
“VOC” stands for “volatile organic compound.” According to the EPA, VOCs organic compounds that are emitted as gases from certain solids and liquids. Organic chemicals are widely used as ingredients in household products, including paints and varnished. Furthermore, concentrations of VOCs are consistently higher indoors (up to ten times higher) than outdoors.
When VOCs are inhaled, they can contribute to various health issues. These problems most commonly include headaches, nausea, irritation of airways, among others. Additionally, VOCs are frequently associated with the odor of paint.
Due to these issues, it’s best to use products with low VOCs or low VOCs.
Many products these days contain low amounts of VOCs. They will generally be labeled as such. No VOC products do not have any volatile organic compounds. They generally will have much lower odors than other products. Many of these products are well engineered so they offer comparable dry times and durability to other products. One in particular to consider is Sherwin Williams Harmony or Benjamin Moore ben. Make sure to do your research and ask the paint manufacturer or paint company sales representative before choosing the product that’s right for you.
Sep 08 2019
We often get asked the question “How much does it cost to paint my interior”? The answer, of course, is “it depends”. The two biggest components of costs are materials and labor.
Materials cost can vary based on the brand, type, and quality of paint, the coverage rate of the paint, how dramatic a color change is being requested, and application method. Most commercially available latex paints will cover 250 – 350 square feet for gallon. Some of our favorite paints include Sherwin Williams SuperPaint, Sherwin Williams Duration, Benjamin Moore Regal, and Benjamin Moore Advance.
Labor costs similarly can vary greatly from project to project. Some of the things that determine labor costs on a paint project include:
– Amount of prep work required. This includes moving furniture, cleaning surfaces that are not ready for paint, repairing drywall issues.
– Size of the project: This may seem obvious, but painting the walls of a bedroom is a lot less work than painting ceiling, trim and walls in a large house
– Number of transitions and “cut ins” – Every time there is a transition from one color to the next, there is more labor involved. Accent walls, cutting in around windows, doors, and shelves, and other transitions will add time and therefore costs
– Primer and multiple coats – Applying a single top coat of the same color takes less time that applying three coats to achieve a bold color change. Similarly, applying a primer coat to an unfinished surface involves extra time (and materials).
– Special applications and specialty items – Cabinets, furniture, glazing, decorative painting, and other non-standard paint projects require more time and more highly skilled and experienced painters. Expect to pay more for these areas
Some tips to keep costs down:
– Clear the room of furniture and personal belongings so that the painters spend their time on painting, not moving furniture
– Make sure surfaces to be painted are cleaned before the painters arrival. You want the painters focused on doing a great paint job, not scrubbing and cleaning surfaces with grease, grime and dirt
– Choose good quality paints that suit your budget. While the top-of-the-line products may suit your needs, many customers find a good quality paint with high coverage rates suit their needs just fine
Sep 03 2019
From September 20 – 22, hundreds of exhibitors will be on hand to advice on home renovation, interior design, remodeling and sustainable living products and topics. Make sure to visit us at booth #661.
In addition to the hundreds of exhibitors, the American Society of Interior Designers (ASID) of Colorado’s designers will be onsite throughout the entire show to share ideas and meet with homeowners to address their remodel, design, architecture, decorating and construction questions. ASID designers will also host presentations throughout the weekend on such topics as kitchen design, remodeling and accessorizing ideas. The seminars are located in booth #621. Sessions are included in the price of admission. You can find the schedule here.
For anyone interested in attending the show, we have a limited number of free tickets to give away. Please contact us, if you are interested.