We often get asked the question “How much does it cost to paint my interior”? The answer, of course, is “it depends”. The two biggest components of costs are materials and labor.
Materials cost can vary based on the brand, type, and quality of paint, the coverage rate of the paint, how dramatic a color change is being requested, and application method. Most commercially available latex paints will cover 250 – 350 square feet for gallon. Some of our favorite paints include Sherwin Williams SuperPaint, Sherwin Williams Duration, Benjamin Moore Regal, and Benjamin Moore Advance.
Labor costs similarly can vary greatly from project to project. Some of the things that determine labor costs on a paint project include:
– Amount of prep work required. This includes moving furniture, cleaning surfaces that are not ready for paint, repairing drywall issues.
– Size of the project: This may seem obvious, but painting the walls of a bedroom is a lot less work than painting the ceiling, trim, and walls in a large house
– Number of transitions and “cut-ins” – Every time there is a transition from one color to the next, there is more labor involved. Accent walls, cutting in around windows, doors, and shelves, and other transitions will add time and therefore costs
– Primer and multiple coats – Applying a single top coat of the same color takes less time than applying three coats to achieve a bold color change. Similarly, applying a primer coat to an unfinished surface involves extra time (and materials).
– Special applications and specialty items – Cabinets, furniture, glazing, decorative painting, and other non-standard paint projects require more time and more highly skilled and experienced painters. Expect to pay more for these areas
Some tips to keep costs down:
– Clear the room of furniture and personal belongings so that the painters spend their time on painting, not moving furniture
– Make sure surfaces to be painted are cleaned before the painter’s arrival. You want the painters focused on doing a great paint job, not scrubbing and cleaning surfaces with grease, grime, and dirt
– Choose good quality paints that suit your budget. While the top-of-the-line products may suit your needs, many customers find a good quality paint with high coverage rates suit their needs just fine
Helix Painting is here to answer your questions and help you through the process. Give us a call or book your free estimate now.