Dec 18 2019
We frequently get calls from customers who are selling their houses. Over the years, many have put personalized touches bright accent walls, seventies-era greens and browns, nine colors throughout the house, etc. Now that it’s time to sell, their realtors have recommended they make some affordable improvements to the home to make it attractive to a broad base of home buyers.
Sound familiar? If you are selling your house, the key is to make it look fresh, neat, and clean to appeal to the widest cross section of buyers. Most commonly, that means putting a light grey, off white, or light cream color on the walls to match your home’s styling. Make sure the colors work with flooring or counter tops and are relatively neutral. Stock flat white ceiling paint and white semi-gloss on trim are by far the most common colors and will appeal widely. Buyers are frequently going to personalize their home with new paint colors or accent walls, but your job as the seller is to make the home marketable to the masses. So unless your home is a tear-down, it’s probably worth the modest investment to paint, put in new carpet and other touches get increase the money you will get for your home.
Ready to start your cabinet painting project?
Oct 15 2019
We regularly get asked whether a customer should paint their kitchen cabinets . There are some key factors to consider when you are deciding whether to paint those cabinets.
Can your cabinets be painted?
Most cabinets are made of solid wood and can be painted. Some cabinets, however, are made of engineered wood (you’ll often see a veneer or laminate covering). Cabinets made with engineered wood are very challenging to paint. The veneer or laminate coverings do not take paint well and are likely to peel and chip. For these cabinets to be painted, they need extra sanding and priming before painting.
Do you like the general style of your cabinets?
Painting cabinets can give them a new look and feel. Painting cabinets does not change the fundamental structure of the cabinet. If you want flat cabinet doors, painting them won’t change that. Make sure you are comfortable with the style of your cabinets. If not, you might want to consider replacing the cabinet doors. Remember, new hardware will also change the feel of your cabinets. You can get relatively inexpensive new hardware at Home Depot, Ikea or your favorite home improvement store.
Should you paint your cabinets yourself?
This is really a question of how much time you have and how much you like detail work. Painting cabinets requires lots of prep before you can start painting. You’ll need to create a proper workspace (cabinet painting can be messy), you need to sand the cabinets and you’ll need access to a paint sprayer. Spraying cabinets and allowing the doors and drawers to dry properly is key to getting a smooth finished product. We often meet customers unhappy with the brush marks or paint drips visible on some DIY cabinets.
What product is best for painting cabinets?
At Helix Painting, we generally prefer to spray cabinets with Benjamin Moore Advance. Spraying cabinets gives the best finished look. We find Benjamin Moore Advance is the best product for adhering to cabinets, best finished look and great durability.
Ready to start your cabinet painting project?
Sep 26 2019
Most customers who ask us to paint interior walls choose a neutral color throughout the house, typically a light grey, light beige or offwhite. However, a great way to bring color and intrigue into a room can be an accent wall. Accents are typically bold or dark in color and can really make a room “pop.”
But how do you decide which wall to use as the accent? There are no hard and fast rules, but based on our extensive experience painting interiors, we recommend a few guidelines to consider:
(1) You want to pick a wall that’s a natural focal point. For example, you could pick a wall with a fireplace, or a stand alone wall where a nice piece of art might go
(2) Symmetry is important with an accent wall. A natural accent place should be symmetrical within the room, not offset or with doorways on one side
(3) Two corners inside the space. Usually well placed accent walls will have a natural corner in the space
(4) Make sure the color you choose for the accent wall is a natural complement to the rest of the room. Sometimes that’s a darker version of the surrounding walls. Sometimes it’s a bright complement to the wall color. Often the accent will tie in hues from the furniture or decorations. Make sure the color doesn’t clash with the surrounding space or furniture
(5) Typically, the accent color should be 10 – 25% of the overall space in the room. Much more than that and it will not feel like an accent
(6) If you have crown molding or insets, you could consider making a ceiling an accented color for intrigue
(7) Still confused or undecided? Ask your interior paint company or designer for suggestions if you have questions. If you book a project with Helix Painting, we are happy to provide you with a complimentary Sherwin Williams color consultant.
Check out our blog post showing how different color accent walls can change a room.
Sep 21 2019
A lot of customers ask us if they should paint their kitchen cabinets. In most cases, somebody has a stained wood cabinet that is at least ten years old. Painting kitchen cabinets is a great way to give a kitchen a fresh new look. And while painting cabinets is not cheap, it’s a whole lot cheaper than buying new cabinets.
Painting kitchen cabinets correctly is not easy and generally takes know how. If done incorrectly, the paint can quickly chip or peel. Additionally, drips or brush marks can be visible if the paint is incorrectly applied. Here’s some tips:
– Proper prep work. Cabinet doors and drawers should be removed. Handles should be taken off or well protected if they can’t be removed. Stained wood needs to be scuff sanded. A layer of high grade primer must be applied to raw wood before paint is applied
– Choose the right materials. Our favorite cabinet paint is Benjamin Moore Advance. It gives an amazingly smooth and durable finish. Do not choose the cheapest possible paint option for cabinets, you will regret not investing a little bit more in good quality paint
– Professionally spray cabinets. To get the optimal finish free of brush marks, cabinet pieces should be sprayed. Make sure the surrounding area is well protected with plastic sheeting if you don’t have a professional workshop to avoid overspray.
Sep 03 2019
From September 20 – 22, hundreds of exhibitors will be on hand to advice on home renovation, interior design, remodeling and sustainable living products and topics. Make sure to visit us at booth #661.
In addition to the hundreds of exhibitors, the American Society of Interior Designers (ASID) of Colorado’s designers will be onsite throughout the entire show to share ideas and meet with homeowners to address their remodel, design, architecture, decorating and construction questions. ASID designers will also host presentations throughout the weekend on such topics as kitchen design, remodeling and accessorizing ideas. The seminars are located in booth #621. Sessions are included in the price of admission. You can find the schedule here.
For anyone interested in attending the show, we have a limited number of free tickets to give away. Please contact us, if you are interested.
Jan 16 2019
Team Dave Logan is a Denver company focused on connecting the Denver community with honest, hardworking businesses with integrity. Founded out a need to provide his mother with a recommendation for a home repair, Dave Logan realized there should be a resource for cutting through the hype and discerning the ethics and professionalism of any business.
In order to join Team Dave Logan, Helix Painting went through their extensive interview process and background screening to ensure we are using quality business practices and operating with professional ethics. The screening criteria included:
- Better Business Bureau Certification
- Department of Registration Search for companies licensed per division
- Colorado Bureau of Investigations Criminal Arrest records for Colorado
- Co Courts.com Court Records
- Department of Regulatory Agencies Verify licenses
- Colorado Secretary of State
- Personal Background Check
- Denver County Contractor Licensing Contractor License Search
- Denver County Court Records-Liens and Judgments
- National Sex Offender Website
- Nationwide Criminal Database Search (Includes sex offenders)
- Patriots Act/OFAC/BXA/Terrorist List Search
- Federal Bankruptcy Search
- Business Credit/Commercial Credit Report
- Customer Credit
- Statewide Criminal Records
- EPA Lead-Safe Certification
- County Civil Lawsuit Search
- Malpractice Insurance for Attorneys
We now proudly have the Team Dave Logan on our website and in our emails and look forward to working with fellow team members in the future.
Dec 12 2018
Choosing the correct paint, paint sheen and color can be one of the toughest parts of a home project. Whether it is a large remodel or a simple face-lift for a room, choosing the right product can make a big difference. We’ll start our series on this topic with bathrooms.
What Type of Paint to Use
There are a number of paint brands available in the market. Sherwin Williams and Benjamin Moore are the two main brands we work with at Helix Painting. Both companies create great products and have price points to fit every budget.
Once you have decided on a paint company, the product choice comes down to how much money you want to spend and how often you plan on repainting. Higher end products will generally last longer. We generally recommend Sherwin Williams SuperPaint and Benjamin Moore Ben as good mid-range products and Sherwin Williams Duration and Benjamin Moore Regal as good higher-end products. For those willing to pay an extra premium, paint companies are now creating products with additives to help repel moisture and resist model, such as Benjamin Moore Aura Bath and Spa.
After deciding on product, it is important to consider paint sheen. Bathrooms have a different environment than the rest of your house. They are smaller, fill with steam are likely to have water splashed on the walls. Bathroom walls need to be wiped down more often than other rooms. These differences impact what sheen is best for bathrooms. Paints come in several sheens:
- Eggshell is an easily wipeable, but does not do well in areas with much moisture.
- Satin has a slight gloss finished look, but is only recommended for low moisture environments, like a powder room.
- Sami-gloss repels most moisture well and is easily wiped down, making it a good fit for a bathroom.
- High-glass is excellent at repelling moisture and is easily wiped; however, it can show more imperfections when painted on large surfaces like a wall. It is best to only use high-gloss on trim or cabinets.
What Color Palettes to Choose
Now onto the hard part, choosing color. Color is a very personal decision, but it is important to remember two key factors: bathrooms are generally small and the wall color in a bathroom impacts your reflection on the mirror. With smaller rooms, a dark color can make a room feel even smaller. A dark or strong color can also change the appearance of your complexion. Neutrals, whites, creams, and grays will have the least impact. These color palettes will also give your bathroom a larger, brighter feel.
Looking to start a painting project? The team at Helix Painting can help you to select the right paints and give your home with a professional, fresh look. You can book your FREE estimate on our website or by calling us at 720-445-9856. We look forward to helping you revitalize your home!
Jul 02 2018
Painting your home is the easiest way to make it feel fresh and new again. If painting multiple rooms in your house isn’t convenient or is not within your budget, asking a few key questions can help you prioritize which rooms to paint first.
The first question we ask customers is why they are painting.
- Are you painting to prepare your house for resale? If so, we will likely guide you towards focusing on key common areas (kitchen and living room) and the master suite. Paint is often a great way to make an older bathroom feel more inviting.
- Painting before moving into your new home? In this scenario, we would suggest painting the areas where the paint color is most offensive to you or areas that feel dirty/worn. Closets are often a space that feels worn and is relatively inexpensive to paint. Plus, it is much easier to paint a closet before you have filled it with your stuff.
We also consider the following:
- Does the area get a lot of foot traffic? Are the walls and trim damaged? Some simple prep work on damaged walls and trim, along with new paint, will greatly improve the look.
- Do the colors fit your style? Dated colors make a space feel old. Updating to colors that fit your style is the cheapest way to renovate a home. Check out our blog post to see how different colors can change the feel of a room.
- Do the baseboards look dirty? While some Simple Green and a washcloth can do a lot for your baseboards, some times a fresh coat of paint is needed to get a truly clean look.
Answering these questions can be a helpful tool to determine which areas need painting first. If you have additional questions, please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Whether painting just your kitchen and living room or painting your whole house, at Helix Painting we aim to make the project as easy and painless as possible. We pride ourselves on superior quality and customer service, so you can focus on enjoying your home.
Call 720-445-9856 or click here to schedule a FREE estimate today!
Jun 20 2018
Christ’s Body Ministries mission is simply to feed, clothe, and share the gospel 365 days a year with Denver’s poor and homeless. At its 8th and Lincoln facility, Christ’s Body Ministries goal for 2018 is to serve 75,000 meals, give out 80,000 clothing items, share the Gospel with 50,000 poor or homeless men and women, provide transitional housing for 15 men and give respite care for 100 men.
“Helix Painting was there to help us when others walked away. We are blessed to have the Helix team give a much-needed face-lift to our facility’s interior” commented Pastor Denis Flierl. The Helix team was happy to lend a helping hand to the Denver organization. Helix Painting owner Brandon Homuth shared “As an organization, we look for ways to improve the community around us. Christ’s Body Ministries is providing an important service to many in the Denver area. We are proud to support their noble cause.”
For those interested in volunteering with Christ’s Body Ministries, please visit their website.
About Helix Painting
Helix Painting is an interior and exterior painting company serving residential and commercial customers throughout the Denver metro area. Our vision is to delight our customers by revitalizing and beautifying their homes with a level of service and quality that sets the standard for the painting industry. We are incredibly professional, well-managed and easy to do business with. We reliably deliver excellent quality and stand by our work – the job’s not done until you’re satisfied, and we strive to get it right the first time, every time. We aspire to be our best as a company, a team, and members of the community. To learn more, please visit out website.
Feb 28 2018
Changing paint color in a room can dramatically change how the room looks and feels. Not only does this make your color choice an important one, but it also can be a very intimidating choice. To help demonstrate the way paint can change a room, we used Sherwin Williams’ ColorSnap Visualizer to show the same room painted several different ways. Let’s first look at how just changing the wall color can change the appearance of a room.
Watch to see the impact of changing paint color in a room
Using an accent wall can bring color without overwhelming the room or making it too dark
The same room can also have a dramatically different look when just one wall is painted a different color, also known as an accent wall.
These three room have very different feels with one using the base color on all walls, the next using Sherwin Williams’ Van Dyke Brown and the last using Van Dyke Brown on all walls.
The choice of accent color can also impact the feel of a room. The Van Dyke Brown accent wall sets a different tone from the Quest Gray accent wall
While the different color options and combinations can seem overwhelming, there are people who can help you. The Sherwin Williams’ ColorSnap Visualizer is a great place to start. You can upload photos of your room and see how it will look with new color. Additionally there are professional interior designers and color consultants available to help you with the decision.