What Color Gray Should I Paint My Kitchen Cabinets?
It’s a question that our team at Helix Painting is asked time and time again, “What color gray should I paint my kitchen cabinets?” While the answer is unique to your specific home and design goals, one thing is certain. You can’t go wrong with gray kitchen cabinets! Today we’re sharing why gray kitchen cabinets are so popular, and what this color can lend to your home. Plus get inspired by some of the hottest grey colors for kitchen cabinets paint!
Gray Kitchen Cabinets Ideas
In recent years gray kitchen cabinets have spiked in popularity, but why? Gray is a beautiful balance of both neutral and warm tones, delivering homeowners the best of both worlds. Used in a kitchen space, it also lends brightness and a sense of cleanliness. It is a color that will complement a wide array of tile backsplashes, as well as most any color of kitchen appliances. Of course, we can’t ignore that it also complements a variety of colors, depending on the shade of grey you choose. Making it an incredibly versatile color! Don’t get us wrong, an equal number of homeowners associate grey with being dull and boring. But if your goal is a kitchen that is trendy and will stand the test of time, you won’t regret going with gray.
Tips for Choosing Gray Kitchen Paint
When it comes time to start comparing swatches, the sheer number of grey paint options can be overwhelming. Each and every shade will give off a special something to your home! Here are some factors that you will want to carefully consider and compare.
Light or Dark – As with every color, gray comes in both light and dark shades. So how do you choose? The best way to decide is by considering the size of your kitchen and the light available. A small space or space with limited light can feel smaller with dark paint. So a lighter shade of grey will help open it up and give off the illusion of a grander space. Whereas a larger kitchen will ample natural light can handle darker paint, and may help make it feel homier.
Warm or Cool – When referring to a warm or cool shade, we’re talking about where a paint lies on the color wheel. Gray is often thought of as a neutral color, and it can be. But it can also have a warm or cool undertone. A cool gray will have pink and bluish hues. Whereas a warm gray will range from peach to yellow or golden undertones. Taking note of an undertone is important as it will impact your overall color scheme or palette, and dictate other colors you feature. Whether it be hardware, a backsplash, the wall color, or flooring.
Grey Kitchen Cabinet Paint
While there are countless shades of grey to choose from, some are tried and true. Check out some of our favorite grey kitchen cabinet paint, from top brands like Sherwin William and Benjamin Moore!
- Sherwin Williams Pussywillow – A gorgeous shade, Pussywillow has a slightly cool undertone. It is similar to Mindful Gray but more saturated. Pair it with soft cream colors, as well as other warm hues.
- Sherwin Williams Dorian Gray – A soft, medium color, Dorian Gray has a slightly purple undertone. It pairs especially beautiful with crisp and bright whites, creating the most beautiful contrast.
- Sherwin Williams Mindful Gray -This shade is a perfect contrast color to a cooler wall color. It can appear rich in some spaces and neutral in others but always looks gorgeous when complemented by warm details, like woods.
- Benjamin Moore Gray Horse – A cool mid-tone gray, this shade creates a space that’s both stylish and restful. Pair it with other neutrals, or with warm earth tones like brown and green.
- Benjamin Moore Gray Owl – One of the most popular gray colors. It’s a light warm gray that can go cool with more natural light and looks especially great in small, darker spaces.
- Benjamin Moore Chelsea Gray – A rich warm gray, Chelsea Gray is a super chic color for cabinetry. It is a deep and bolder shade of gray, that contrasts well with bright whites and is complemented by warm metallics.
Ready to bring your vision of gray kitchen cabinets to life? Our team at Helix Painting is focused on delivering quality cab
inet painting services to the metro Denver area. We’re committed to making your interior painting experience easy and low-stress with our unique combination of personalized service, quality work, and streamlined process. Contact us today for a free in-person estimate or take advantage of our convenient virtual estimate. We can’t wait to help make your dream home a reality!
Oct 15 2019
We regularly get asked whether a customer should paint their kitchen cabinets . There are some key factors to consider when you are deciding whether to paint those cabinets.
Can your cabinets be painted?
Most cabinets are made of solid wood and can be painted. Some cabinets, however, are made of engineered wood (you’ll often see a veneer or laminate covering). Cabinets made with engineered wood are very challenging to paint. The veneer or laminate coverings do not take paint well and are likely to peel and chip. For these cabinets to be painted, they need extra sanding and priming before painting.
Do you like the general style of your cabinets?
Painting cabinets can give them a new look and feel. Painting cabinets does not change the fundamental structure of the cabinet. If you want flat cabinet doors, painting them won’t change that. Make sure you are comfortable with the style of your cabinets. If not, you might want to consider replacing the cabinet doors. Remember, new hardware will also change the feel of your cabinets. You can get relatively inexpensive new hardware at Home Depot, Ikea or your favorite home improvement store.
Should you paint your cabinets yourself?
This is really a question of how much time you have and how much you like detail work. Painting cabinets requires lots of prep before you can start painting. You’ll need to create a proper workspace (cabinet painting can be messy), you need to sand the cabinets and you’ll need access to a paint sprayer. Spraying cabinets and allowing the doors and drawers to dry properly is key to getting a smooth finished product. We often meet customers unhappy with the brush marks or paint drips visible on some DIY cabinets.
What product is best for painting cabinets?
At Helix Painting, we generally prefer to spray cabinets with Benjamin Moore Advance. Spraying cabinets gives the best finished look. We find Benjamin Moore Advance is the best product for adhering to cabinets, best finished look and great durability.
Ready to start your cabinet painting project?
Sep 21 2019
A lot of customers ask us if they should paint their kitchen cabinets. In most cases, somebody has a stained wood cabinet that is at least ten years old. Painting kitchen cabinets is a great way to give a kitchen a fresh new look. And while painting cabinets is not cheap, it’s a whole lot cheaper than buying new cabinets.
Painting kitchen cabinets correctly is not easy and generally takes know how. If done incorrectly, the paint can quickly chip or peel. Additionally, drips or brush marks can be visible if the paint is incorrectly applied. Here’s some tips:
– Proper prep work. Cabinet doors and drawers should be removed. Handles should be taken off or well protected if they can’t be removed. Stained wood needs to be scuff sanded. A layer of high grade primer must be applied to raw wood before paint is applied
– Choose the right materials. Our favorite cabinet paint is Benjamin Moore Advance. It gives an amazingly smooth and durable finish. Do not choose the cheapest possible paint option for cabinets, you will regret not investing a little bit more in good quality paint
– Professionally spray cabinets. To get the optimal finish free of brush marks, cabinet pieces should be sprayed. Make sure the surrounding area is well protected with plastic sheeting if you don’t have a professional workshop to avoid overspray.