Should You Upgrade Your Interior Paint?
When it comes to interior paint you have a lot of options. But not every paint is equal, and not every room should have the same paint. You need paint that aligns with how that room will be used and offers relevant protection. Today we’ll discuss when and why you should upgrade your interior house paint. Plus, we will compare three types of interior paint by Sherwin Williams, and how to choose the right one for your home.
Upgrading Your Interior House Paint
How often you should repaint the interior of your home is a little tricky. Largely because it varies throughout different areas of your home. For example, high contact areas like bedrooms and bathrooms will need to be updated more frequently than living rooms. In general, kitchens, bedrooms, and bathrooms will need to be repainted every 2 to 3 years. Living rooms and dining rooms may only need it every 5 to 7 years.
But what are the other telltale signs that a room may require upgraded paint? For one, a lifestyle change. Say you’ve recently had kids. You’re going to need paint that can handle a beating, as well as a lot of scrubbing. Kids are rough and messy, and you need paint that is going to hold up. Similarly, old paint just can’t stand up to the new stuff. New formulas offer a lot more moisture resistance, protecting you and your home from mold and mildew. If it’s been a hot minute since you updated your bathrooms, for example, newer paint offers a much better moisture barrier.
Other indicators that you may need an upgrade include:
- Stains – Some stains are simply impossible to remove. So when you’ve acquired a handful, choose to repaint with a paint that is stain-resistant and can handle lots of scrubbing.
- Cracking – Is your paint flaking off your walls? This can happen for a few reasons, from improper prep before painting or extreme temperatures (hot or cold). It will need to be repaired and upgraded to a more durable formula.
- Fading – If your wall colors aren’t quite as rich as they used to be, you might be overdue for a repaint. So go ahead and upgrade to a new color, and better quality paint.
- Water damage – Endured a recent water leak or another mishap? If a decent amount of water penetrated the wall, you’ll need to repair and repaint. To prevent the formation of dangerous mold and mildew, as well as rot.
Best Interior House Paint
Aside from making the interior of your home look beautiful, paint also protects your walls. So when it comes time to repaint, it’s essential that you consider the job it needs to perform and the stress it will likely endure. This will help you pick the best formula and mean that you have to repaint less frequently.
- This paint and primer in one applies easily, dries quickly, and offers great hide to make color changes easy. In addition to its smooth appearance, SuperPaint® coating creates a lasting finish and a surface that holds up to scrubbing. It is available in flat, satin, velvet, and semi-gloss sheens.
- This paint and primer in one provides outstanding coverage in fewer coats. It contains anti-microbial agents* that inhibit the growth of mold and mildew on the paint surface and its’ advanced stain-blocking technology helps hide old stains and allows most new ones to be wiped clean with water. Whether it’s a playroom or kitchen, Duration Home® paint or paint and primer in one makes high-traffic areas easier to maintain. Available in flat, matte, satin, and semi-gloss sheens.
- This premium paint offers exceptional washability and coverage with a formula that hides dark colors, resists water streaking, and helps prevent stains from penetrating. This remarkable paint and primer in one contains anti-microbial agents* that inhibit the growth of mold and mildew on the paint surface and transform walls with a beautiful finish that speaks for itself. It is available in flat, matte, satin, and semi-gloss sheens.
Want to achieve the interior paint job of your dreams on the first go-round? Hire Helix Painting of Denver! We can assist you in choosing the best interior paint, including color, and ensure a hassle-free application process. Contact us today to schedule a free estimate, or view our photo gallery for ideas and inspiration!